Lisa Twohig. Powered by Blogger.

6 February 2017

Pep Talk 001

Sometimes the emotional feeling of the day is bleak and uninspiring. Every effort is monumental. You feel flat, lifeless and prefer to stay under the duvet, letting the day carry on without you. We've all been there and it can be a real struggle to shift yourself to a lighter, more hopeful mood. Unfortunately, traditional schooling taught us how to find 'x' never taught us how to find our nerve and drive when we've lost it. When a grey cloud stubbornly hovers over me my go-to is a pep talk. Like a rousing talk with a best friend pep talks get me out of my head and back on my feet.


Mel Robbins. Source: Twitter

In these, our starting days on the radio circuit we've got to be our biggest advocates. It'll take time to establish yourself in a station and allow your work to speak for you. So, until there are others to believe in you, you should see self-belief as a muscle in constant need of attention and exercise. I take inspiration from a thousand different directions and over time will share them here so you can add them to your self-belief arsenal. Today I'm going to share a personal favourite - Mel Robbin's TED Talk 'How to stop screwing yourself over'.

"If you have an impulse to act on a goal, you must physically move within 5 seconds or your brain will kill the idea."





Robbins is an American television host, life coach, author, motivational speaker, contributing editor for Success (magazine), and on-air CNN commentator. Robbins believes the secret to achieving what you want in life and in work, is simply learning to give yourself a little push. She's funny, fast and so brutally honest you can't help but hear the truth in her words. Get a cup of tea and settle down for a brain bath:





The next time someone makes you feel insignificant or unimportant I hope you remember that there was a 1 in 400 trillion chance of you being born. That is to say, scientifically you're phenomenal just by being alive.

To close, the '5 Second Rule' Robbins mentions is an ethos also echoed by productivity guru David Allen, author of the best-selling book 'Getting Things Done'. The 'GTD method' genuinely changed my life when I slowly began to integrate it into my overwhelming mountain of to-do lists. I'm planning a future post on this incredible method, it supercharges your ability to make progress.


What do you turn to in times of hopelessness?


No comments:

Post a Comment

author
About the producer
I'm Lisa Twohig and I want to rid the student radio community of career anxiety. You can follow me as I examine the industry of producers and ask your questions for you.