Lisa Twohig. Powered by Blogger.

15 December 2016

Motivations and quoting AC/DC



A common question I receive is what on earth motivated me to create 'Presenting: The Producer'. Truthfully, it was born from a realisation that most of the broadcast students (and graduated students for that matter) around me are bristling with passion to join the radio industry - but absolutely clueless as to how to do it. "I want to be a presenter!" is as far as many of them can go when asked about their future plans. There's no understanding about the many routes into a station job, how you don't need to win a Student Radio Award to be considered for a role or what sort of expectations await you at an entry level position. I'm a staunch believer that knowledge is power and so I set out to meet with radio professionals and interview them about their roles. By releasing these interviews out onto the Internet I hope that this podcast can educate aspiring radio students on what skills they need to hone to get a foot in the station door.

'Presenting: The Producer' is specifically designed to put aside vague (and therefore unhelpful) statements like "Think outside the box!". Statements like this should be saved for fridge magnets, they have no place in the world of beginners. If you don't understand how a box works how can you think outside of it? Everyone starts out in this industry as a (privately) uncertain novice and I understand that. I understand it and so I tailor the podcast to the uncertain-but-eager learner. Each episode focuses on an aspect of producing with input from several professionals working on a range of different shows. You've my promise that the language of PTP will never be highfalutin or riddled with abbreviations, discussions will always be in layman's terms to ensure that it is inclusive to all wishing to learn producing.

I don't want to quote AC/DC at you but it is a long road to the top if you want to work in radio. This is something that can't be helped but do know that the PTP podcast is in your corner cheering you on every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

author
About the producer
I'm Lisa Twohig and I want to rid the student radio community of career anxiety. You can follow me as I examine the industry of producers and ask your questions for you.